Saturday, June 13, 2009

5 Kilometers to My Spectacular Goal



Well here it goes………….my SPECTACULAR goal. I have decided to start with something very tangible…………..
a 5 kilometre race!

I know it won’t be the Stanley Cup or Henley gold for that matter, but for me to finish a race like that will be something that I can actually accomplish, but I will have to push myself to do it.

At work they are pushing “SMART” goals:
Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely

So here goes my first personal SMART Goal:

Specific: To run again!
Measurable: 5 kilometres
Attainable: Surely I can run 5 km????
Realistic: Well, it’s not the Olympics
Timely: October – that when the Niagara Falls Marathon is and there is a 5 km portion for people like me…….
people who are not really athletic but know it's now or never.


I didn’t pick this goal out of thin air. It has been rolling around in the back of head for some time now. When Terry and I moved into our condo last October I told myself I would start to use the exercise room downstairs. Many of my friends pay lots of money each month to belong to some club and I have one free an elevator ride (or even better, stair flights) down from me. I need to start using it.

I have also been encouraged to join two co-workers who have been talking about the Niagara Falls marathon. A beautiful run along the Niagara Parkway ending at the picturesque Falls. What better place?

Also, maybe I will actually attain that goal of losing 15 pounds if I start running again?
Now I actually have to figure out how am I going to be able to run 5 kilometers?

Any wannabe trainers out there with some good suggestions?

No comments: