Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Need Motivation





Here I am……….OK, not quite. This is the picture of me I have in my head. Fit, big smile, great hair………………I actually have been told I have a great smile and some days I have been known to have great hair(depends upon humidity and so many other factors)
What I need to work on is my fitness.

I am on a committee where we are working with new principals. Our workshop today talked a lot about having life balance between home and school etc. I am considered one of the “mentors”….you know, someone who is supposed to know what they are talking about. I do know all of the right words to say but putting it into action is another thing.

I leave for work each day at about 7:30 and get home around 6:00 p.m. After that I start supper, read the paper and log onto the computer to check out facebook, blogs, emails and anything else that can distract me until I go to bed. When the topic of fitness comes up I tell everyone, and try to convince myself, I have no time for exercise.

I have made a commitment to run a five kilometre race in October and yet I have yet to put on my running shoes. I need to get motivated and get running.

Is there anyone out there to say the right words to me to get me out the door and away from the computer??

2 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Working out isn't any fun. I forced myself to do it before I went home - otherwise I'd go home and get on the computer! :-)

It starts with promising yourself that you are important. And that you are worth it.

It means saying NO to something to say yes to yourself!

I would come home from school soooo stressed, to a retired husband but I would purposefully go and work out before I interacted with him. It made such a difference in my body, mind and spirit.

I began by running 1km 3 x's per week. I had 3 kids under 12.

Mark it out, and run it. Then add another km a week later. Run it, walk it, just make it happen. Then the km build up. Now retired, I aim to work out 30 min./day. I feel so much better for it.
You go, girl!

SUSAN said...

Thanks so much for your advice. Next week is the last week with the kids....I am sure you remember that week clearly. It is actually a quiet week as far as after school events so there is no reason for me NOT to make time for myself.

I promise I will put on those runners Monday morning! Thanks for the inspiration.