Monday, July 6, 2009

Will Yoga Kick My Addictions?


The computer is not my friend. I spend way too much time “surfing.” If I truly were surfing surely I would be much slimmer, much more tanned and much more satisfied with myself at the end of the day.

After staying up way too late last night, and sleeping in way too late this morning I realized I have already wasted too many precious hours of my summer vacation. Like someone with an addiction, I am going to have to get my computer use under control before it starts to control me. I gave myself a kick in the rear today and told myself to get going. I walked up the street and signed up for the yoga studio. I have given a financial commitment so now I must give myself a time commitment as well.

Funnily enough, once I got home from the big signing up, I turned on the TV (another addiction I am working on) and I caught a few minutes of Oprah. Now, I am not one of those people that considers Oprah a religion but today she said something that really made me think. She was saying how we have to take time for ourselves. She was describing me. During the school year I always complain I don’t have enough time to exercise, to eat right, to do whatever I should to take care of me. I have my calendar to ensure I am at every meeting on time etc but according to Oprah, I need to include myself on that calendar. It was a little AHA moment.

SO……….I am going to actually schedule the 5 k training I have been procrastinating. I am going to schedule my yoga classes. In spite of it being summer time I am going to schedule my time so I don’t waste my time……….as I said in an earlier post, summer time is too precious to waste……my time is too precious to waste.

Hopefully this will be the first day of the rest of my life……………so sorry to be so corny!!!!! (A few minutes of Oprah really does go a long way)

Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom before I embark on this new journey called yoga? Will it truly be a mind/body/spirit experience?

1 comment:

Jenn Jilks said...

I loved taking yoga classes. It is such a healthy things to do for the big 3: mind, body, spirit.

That said, you really need to forgive yourself. The first week of July was always my week to do the things that needed doing. After being mom/teacher/mentor/volunteer/committee member for 10 months, there were things needing doing.
Then, the second week I forgave myself.

You need to depressurize, not give yourself more deadlines, must-dos, and guilt. Go for an afternoon walk. Read, write, play, dream think. That, too, is meditation.

I have had a tough two weeks, conflicts with guests, issues with the house (can you spell money pit?), and the joy (but pressure) of playing grandma. I find writing and reading on the computer is really cheap therapy! It opens up a whole new world and helps me realize who I am as a person - not as my role: mother, wife, grandmother, volunteer.