Friday, July 3, 2009

Cottage Time



I was reading the Globe and Mail the other day and came across an article regarding getting things done at the cottage. It was an essay written by an elementary principal (like me!) who was preparing for a whole summer at the cottage (like me!) She was anticipating a summer of reading, doing yoga on the dock and actually losing weight by the end of the summer. It was very clear she was a newbie cottager.

The writer was given advice from her cottage neighbour that every day she must have a list of things to accomplish or before you knew it the summer would be over and you would feel like it was a summer wasted. I took this advice to heart as I could certainly relate to having days go by without having accomplished anything. So today I set out to do my “To Do List”.

1. go to Huntsville and buy supplies
2. plant more flowers in some containers by the dock
3. clean out the hall closet
4. hang up new curtains

I have accomplished my list, it is now 3:00 p.m. and I am not sure how to feel. I am a little tired from physical activity for the first time in a few days. I feel a sense of accomplishment my closet is clean. I am pleased when I look out the window and see the beautiful marigolds waving at me from the dock. OK….so I didn’t get the curtains hung…..details, details. However, I am disappointed the weather is now overcast. While I was doing my chores the weather was fabulous, now it is breezy, cool and looking like it is about to rain anytime now.

I have better advice for the new cottage.

Make a To Do List and do it ….when you get around to it.

Cottage time is too precious to waste on To Do Lists.

1 comment:

Jenn Jilks said...

I am totally exhausted, Susan. My son and friend visited last week. Daughter and granddaughter visiting now.

I am sooo glad I am retired!

It's funny about 'To Do' lists. My parents were ill for years and things just fell apart. It has been a few years until I really got things together, rather like after having 3 children. The recovery period is long.

Happy holidays!
/retired teacher (who took the principal's course but never made it to principal due to parental ill-health!)