Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Count Down




The radio station we enjoy at the cottage is called “The Moose”. This is an appropriate name for a station geared for an audience of Canadians in cottage country. For the long week-end The Moose decided to play the top 100 songs of all time. Jennifer and I enjoyed ourselves by quizzing each other on the name of the band/singer etc. We also agreed to disagree about the choices of songs. Not sure who got to ultimately decide on the ranking of these songs but we did enjoy most of the song selection for the week-end.

Jennifer also told me her plan for my Christmas present. She is going to download a whole bunch of songs for my ipod. I am too technically inept to figure it out myself. I have Jen’s old ipod with over 3000 songs of Jen’s taste, certainly not my taste. She is into Little Wayne and Lady Gaga. The thing holding Jen back on her project is she doesn’t know what songs I do like. I decided to help her by making my own list of top songs:

-I Gotta Feeling (The Black Eyed Peas)
-Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones)
-Yesterday (The Beatles)
-The Weight (The Band)
-Complicated (Avril Lavigne)
-Hotel California (The Eagles)
-Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
-Hit Me Baby One More Time (Britney Spears)
-Running With the Devil (Van Halen)
-Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac)
-Bennie and the Jets (Elton John)
-I Want to be Sedated (The Ramones)
-Rock Lobster (B52’s)
-Mack the Knife (Bobby Darrin)
-Last Kiss (the one from the one hit wonder band of the 70’s)
-Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
-Dancing Queen (ABBA)
-Save the Last Dance for Me (The Drifters)
-Should I Stay or Should I Go? (The Clash)
-Highway to Hell (AC/DC)
-Hallelujeh (not sure which version I like best…..???)
-How You Remind Me (Nickelback)
-Going to the Chapel
-Wake Up Little Susie (The Everly Brothers)
-Alison (Elvis Costello)
-Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum)
-Maybe I’m Amazed (Paul McCartney)
-Runaround Sue (Dion)
-The Locomotion (Little Eva)
-Tiny Dancer (Elton John)
-Piano Man (Billy Joel)
-White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)
-Under the Boardwalk (The Drifters)
-Since You Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson)
-A bunch of Back Street Boys

-The whole Jagged Little Pill CD

-A couple of Ace of Bass songs I don't the know the names

-A Joe Walsh Song (with the words “Sometimes I stay at parties ‘til four, it’s hard to leave when you can’t find the door”)

So many, many more I like, I just don’t know the name or the name of the band/singer

I always like songs when I know all the words and can sing along

This list is not in any particular order, just random songs I thought I might like on my ipod.. but, I realize I don’t have anything really “Hip and Now”….

HELP….I need suggestions! Please add to my list………






5 comments:

Ed said...

You didn't mention the artists on "Going to the Chapel". That song was done by the Dixie Cups, circa 1964.
How about "Sweet Home Alabama" (Lynyrd Skynyrd); "Old Time Rock and Roll" (Bob Seger); "Twist and Shout" (The Beatles and also the Isley Brothers); "Beast of Burden" (the Rolling Stones and also Bette Midler); "Brown Sugar" (Stones)?
I've forgotten a ton of great songs, and I hope I didn't repeat any of yours.

Jenn Jilks said...

I hope she's doing LEGAL downloads!!! :-)

Those of you in the public eye have to not only appear to be legal... but moral! My S-I-L, running for the Green Party, used to slide such a slippery slope, but we warned him!

Sue said...

Ed:
thanks for telling me it was the Dixie Cups...I never knew that one. Your other suggestions are very good as well. Although I was never really a big Stones fan. I did see them in concert once (hasn't everyone?)

Jenn:
I hope they are all LEGAL downloads. Yes, I agree, it is not able being legal, but rather moral. I know someone quite well who makes a living writing music etc. That is how he puts food on the table so I appreciate the whole pirating issue.
I would love to hear more about your SIL and the green party, very interesting.

Retired-Ed said...

I can't believe how many I forgot! How about "Oh Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison? "Do You Believe in Magic" by The Lovin' Spoonful (John Sebastian was outstanding)? "Doo Wah Diddy" by Manfred Mann? "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by the Beatles? "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen (every kid in high school thought he knew the words to that one)? did you have "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett? "I Can't Help Myself" by the Four Tops? "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by the Tokens? "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin? (Did you know that that song was written by Kris Kristofferson? It was.) "West Virginia" by John Denver?

I could go on and on and on, but I would even bore myself. Enjoy.
Ed

Ed said...

Oops. Brain Cramp (or senior moment, I don't know which). That John Denver song title was "Country Roads". I don't know what got into me. Maybe too much wine and ouzo from dinner at our favorite Greek restaurant.