Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A "Wild" Week-end With the Girls

Every year I host a girls’ week-end. It is a three day non-stop gab fest in which we drink a little too much, eat a little too much and laugh way too much. However, I do get a little stressed at times as I play the role of host and I want everything to be just right. My friends are more Hiltony than outdoorsy.

I headed up to the cottage last Friday night to prepare for their Saturday arrival. The first thing I noticed as I walked in the cottage was the quiet. This was not a good quiet. This was a quiet caused by the lack of the humming noise the cottage fridge makes. I bravely opened the fridge door and was struck immediately by the smell of rotten food. I quickly grabbed a large garbage bag and stuffed in all of the food, including the only used once trio of ketchup, mustard and relish. I then took it all outside to the large Rubbermaid 20 gallon garbage can with the twist-lock lid. It has stood through four or five raccoon-free summers…..let’s keep our fingers crossed with the recent bear sightings.

I then headed back to the cottage and put the groceries into the beer fridge. It is not a large fridge and is almost 60 years old but always works. We are on our third gently used “new” fridge in ten years….hmmmm….improved technology? I think not.

The girls arrived on time Saturday morning and I proudly put them all in the bunkie. There were fresh sheets, new carpets on the floor and I thought it was going to be a great place for my guests.

In spite of all of my plans to be a good host, we did have our problems. The first night my friends were woken at 4 a.m. by their new friend, Chippy the Chipmunk. He spent the night running across the rafters. When daylight finally arrived they discovered Chippy had used their books and magazines as his personal washroom.

Then the toilet broke. This is not really an unusual event at the cottage but why this week-end? These ladies would not even contemplate the use of the outhouse. As a good teacher I taught them how to fill the bucket from the bathtub and flush the toilet manually.

Then there was no hot water for the shower……
Then we ran out of dishwashing soap……..
Then it rained……
Then it rained…..
Then it rained…….

Then there were drinks on the dock for the 90 minutes of sunshine.
Then posing for facebook pictures.
Then Balderdash.
Then Euchre.
Then just enjoying each other’s company.

In spite of the glitches there were lots of memories for us to laugh about all over again at our next girls’ adventure.

Now……back to the garbage in the Rubbermaid container. Yep, no problem with raccoons. The bears are another story. They found the stash last night. I just got off the phone with the Ministry Bear reporting people and was informed I am correct about my fears. Once the bear has found a food source he will likely be back.

Who wants to break that bit of news to my mother and father who are visiting today? It is hard to believe but they don’t enjoy the cottage at all and haven't visited here in years. They are breaking down to bring my niece and nephew here for two days. Reluctant Mom and Dad, two teen-agers, a chipmunk and a bear.

I will keep all informed how this visit goes.

1 comment:

Jenn Jilks said...

So much fun! We have a bear and we just have to deal with it!!!!

Meantime, we are babysitting grandchild and having a blast.

So much fun in Muskoka!